LOYAL BEARS

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Tempest subsides

I've had a couple of days to think about the project that I want to install in Greeley.

My idea to create a tall cairn of blocks to the same height of the original totem is a really simple one. However, I'm only assuming that there may be a number of students who may be interested. So. I'll wait to see if there really is any interest.

Question? In a conservative community where representational art is probably the most appreciated, is it improper to introduce concepts that may challenge the tastes of the community? What, at an institution of higher learning, should be the standard? If no one likes Picasso, should we downplay his work? If everyone likes Thomas Kinkade, should his craftsmanship be the standard we encourage students to strive for?

When does art become political?




No comments: