LOYAL BEARS

Monday, April 7, 2008

Facebook Opens the Door

Facebook saves the day?

The suggestion to log on to Facebook was brilliant.

I’m hoping that there may be lots of you UNC students now reading this journal and that I may be able to meet you when I get to Greeley.

I now live in Glendale, California. After graduation from CSC, I landed a teaching job in Orange County and eventually wound up in Hollywood where I’ve made a living working as an actor. My artwork has been more personal. That my alma mater has honored me by allowing me to do art projects there has given me reason to return to Greeley. I've been very grateful. Greeley is also my home town so I'll get to see family and friends.

If I'm on schedule, I’ll leave for Greeley on Earth Day, April 22 and arrive at the UC on Friday, April 25th. Depending on whether or not The Cairn Totem Project will be allowed to be installed temporarily with as many of you UNC folks participating is currently in the balance. Certain things have been said about me and my artwork that leads me to believe that the only way I’ll get to install one last tribute to Totem Teddy will be if the students really want to and a space is provided. I’d like to do it in the UC where the Ghost Memory Totem has been since 2005. Communication with the Alumni Affairs office has stopped, so I’m unsure who needs to give the okay. I've asked the director of the UC, Ronna Sanchez.

If any of you, especially after your elections coming up are concluded, you new leaders on campus.. if you start asking for ideas as to how to allow me this opportunity, it may make a difference. I’ve heard from current student leaders who, I hope, will be supportive. I have not heard from President Norton and don’t know what her response might be. In the past, I worked with a Vice President in charge of Student Affairs who was really a terrific help. I hope that the current administration will see not only the educational value of unusual art on campus, but the effect on raising awareness of UNC tradition. Of course, that’s what it’s all about.. Renewing an interest in the history and tradition of UNC.

Make comments here. Write or call. I really would like to know how you students feel about this project. And, if you have time to join the Totem Teddy page on Facebook, that will be terrific. Please spread the word.

Sheehan


No comments: