LOYAL BEARS

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Just the bones


Shawn, Maggie, Emily and I decided that cutting the paper totem into pages for a book that would live in the archives of UNC might be an idea. I'll use the wooden hoop that held the bear to help bind it. I photographed the wooden matrix in several postions where the original Totem Teddy stood. This one, by what is now Gray Hall (Bru-Inn) is close to where the original stood. The well known photo of the students in 1947 shows the real position. I wrestled it around a little trying to find the right spot. The wind blew it over one time!

This is an adventure of the Spirit. The people whom I've met and have been gracious and helpful shall be remembered with much love. Steve Girault, one of my teachers throughout my entire education in Greeley used to sign his letters this way:

Much love..

ms

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First, I realize that art is in the eye of the beholder. One man's art is another's trash pile, etc. I am a recent graduate from UNC and would also like to see a fitting replacement for Totem Teddy. Your cairn is not it.

UNC doesn't want your art. No matter how great you think it is, or how much entitlement you think you deserve, if UNC doesn't want it, stop forcing it upon them. It is the university's right to refuse it. Stop acting like you have been wronged in some great way.

Finally, in my opinion (and in the opinion of most I have talked to), a stack of painted blocks you bought at Home Depot is hardly a fitting "memorial" to Totem Teddy.

Best, TP.