LOYAL BEARS

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

One Bear Two Bear Brown Bear Black Bear?

I may have been living in a delusion for all of my life! I now see that Totem Teddy has been referred to as a ‘brown’ bear. I always thought that a brown bear was the less robust of the two major species. Now, I learn that ‘brown’ is synonymous with grizzly! The black bear urusus americanus is less aggressive and less muscular than the grizzly, ursus arctos.

I’ve been asking around and have yet to get an answer. No idea if there are grizzlies in Angoon?

Got some correspondence today from a couple of students at UNC. The president of the SRC, Rico Wint and Mason Smith, a student who seems to have a great interest in getting moving on a permanent replacement for Totem Teddy. No idea if I’ll be allowed to do the Cairn Totem. My reasoning is that Andrew Thompson innocently sent the original totem to Greeley as a gesture of his appreciation for his education and his love of alma mater. Though my gifts are, perhaps, not quite so grand, I can assure everyone that I have complete authority to make my gifts.

Mr. Thompson probably didn’t know the significance of the Bear Totem and for what it’s worth, I hope that the Tlingit have forgiven him… and us, for not realizing what it means to them. I’ve forgiven them for taking the totem away.

I’ve started a Facebook page for students to visit. Sure hope that interest gets cooking at the grassroots level. Check for Totem Teddy there, if you are a member.


No comments: