LOYAL BEARS

Sunday, May 11, 2008

AFTER THOUGHTS


I’m honestly happy that TP did me the honor of pointing out that one man’s art is another man’s trash. I was an advocate of ‘poor art’ in the early pages of this blog and still am. Of course, we live in a time when things are a little upside down. What is strange to me is that my admonition that my ideas for tradition at UNC are not meant to be, of course, a final word, has been ignored. Saying you are going to do something and doing something are two entirely different things.

Of course, TP may be right. What in the world is this one single voice whose only interest right now in UNC is its tradition doing? What gives me the right to do anything? It’s a little like being a citizen, isn’t it? Don’t we, each of us, have the right to speak out and to do things that may draw attention to causes or ideas that we hold dear? I don’t like to think of myself as political.. however, these acts of art are political, aren’t they? That Jerrold DeWitt, who is supposed to be a kindred UNC alum, basically defames me and then dismisses me with no public apology… No response… That’s just bad manners. At least the anonymous Ms/Mr. TP has the nerve to speak what he/she says reflects others. How many, we don’t know. The infamous ‘they’ always agree with us or support our ideas, though we won’t list their names or say exactly how many there are.

One neat thing is that I have a contingency of students and others who sign their names here and support the idea of tradition. Even though a reinCairnation may not be the ultimate answer, it’s SOMETHING and I’m proud to have contributed it. As I’ve said, it may not be my place as a 20th century alumnus to try to influence a 21st century institution. But, as I’ve seen no one else very interested, other than a handful of busy students, it still means something to me…

So.. rather than grouse around about how ‘they’ won’t do anything, I’ve made an effort to fill the space. Maybe to TP and his/her ilk, nothing is better than something? Maybe if I’d not insisted that a replica be installed on the site where the original totem stood, this tradition would have eventually faded into the woodwork; the little plaque that tells the story of Totem Teddy would fade away.

And, that would be fine because, how can you miss what you never knew existed? What is that Joni Mitchell song…? Gosh.. another 20th century artist… “They paved paradise and put up a parking lot… you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone…” but, if you didn’t know paradise, you may be happy with a parking lot. Ask a Tri Sigma, if you can find one.

Granted that Greeley and UNC may be pretty conservative communities. Do we always allow popular opinion rule? Is the minority idea simply extinguished just because the majority has the means to do so?

This brings me to a question that I got an oblique answer to the other day. There used to be a mural / installation which was dedicated to the tradition and the roots of our university on a wall in the upstairs area of the UC. It depicted, along with photos from long ago, of the campus, a coed from probably the 1920s, judging from her attire. She was half way up the totem pole, smiling like anything at the camera. This was a time, almost a hundred years ago, when the possession of Totem Teddy was not a political faux pas. It was just a gift from a generous alum who had an idea. I doubt that he asked about sending it. I imagine that he was a pioneer, this Andrew Thompson, CSNS Class of 1887, who wanted to show gratitude for his education and laid the totem on the college with the best of intentions. So.. the old Bear winds up on campus.. gets stuck up on the Cranford lawn and, Voila!!, a symbol for the college.

What happened to that installation? It was politically incorrect in that it doesn't reflect the current atmosphere of the UNC campus? Antique photos reflected exactly the way the campus was in the teens and twenties. Where are they now? Who is taking care of them? Who was the artist who designed that collage? Will it be seen again? Or will history be revised to reflect a new century, completely obliterating the past?

I’m often asked, as I see a lot of movies, “was that movie any good?” Of course, if I liked it and would see it again, then, ‘good’ might be just the review that I’d give it. I don’t do that any more. If I liked the movie, I say that I’d see it again. If it didn’t do anything for me, then, I say that one viewing was enough. So? Is the $120,000 big bronze Northern Vision ‘good art?’ Who am I do say? Does it represent the Bears I knew? Hardly. But, there was a contingency of folks who said that they’d sponsor that installation, the estimate from one person who does large bronze installations for just the physical location of the bronze was about $150,000.00. This is one of those hear-say deals, if the cost for just the site is available, I’ll see if I can get it. The point is that someone thought that a twelve foot grizzly was a good idea and managed to get permission for that installation because whoever gave the go ahead said that they could. Did UNC pay money to create that plaza? Do they pay the electricity for the lighting? Is there maintenance on the bear and the site that comes out of the plant budget? Is the art any ‘good?’ Does it reflect the spirit of the university today?

Just questions. Like the $250,000 revamping of the Cranford Hall site in 1989/90 that removed a dozen or so live trees, featured major excavation, removed ghost sidewalks, erected a big block wall and sent the dust of the construction over the Centennial Class of 1990, I wonder who okayed that project and who paid for it? Is it good? Does it make a nicer space than the simple lawn with sidewalks leading nowhere did? Where did that construction money come from? Who made that decision?

We really should move beyond the past. I’m hard pressed, obviously, to do that. But, we probably should.

Ideas come and go. Thinkers and Doers come and go. The bottom line for me is that as an artist interested in the Idea over the finished product… and how new ideas may help individuals grow… I’ll always hope that a seed planted in one fertile mind may blossom in time to other ideas that will create a space for growth and more growth. Idealistic. Sure.. but when you are dealing with people whose egos overshadow ideas that, if nothing else, need exploration, then.. don’t we have an obligation to show them up for the people they are and even if they plow us under, the notion that one little idea may land in a rich mind, is worth all the effort. At least to me.

Much love..


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I am all for preserving and/or commemorating tradition at UNC. I think there are better and more effective ways of doing it than an obscure piece of art. I did happen upon the cairn and had a hard time figuring out what it was depicting, even though I remember Totem Teddy, knew its back story, AND knew of your efforts to "reincarnate" the tradition. (And please don't write this off as me being too close-minded to "get it.") I can only imagine the confusion and apathy of an incoming freshman trying to interpret your art. let's be honest: for better or worse, most students have better things to do than interpret abstract art.

So, the question remains: Should this tradition be commemorated at all? And if so, how best to do it? My personal feeling is that it should be allowed to pass on. It's an fascinating historical footnote to the university. And in the end, we did the right thing by returning it to its rightful owners. The totem, I might add, had much more meaning to them than it ever did to UNC.

But, I understand the desire to commemorate it. So, here a couple other ideas that might engage a broader audience (And no, they don't involve bucket brigades.):

1) Consult with the Tlingits to build a new totem. I confess to being ignorant about their exact customs, so I don't know if this would be acceptable to them. But, if they agreed, it would provide an opportunity to "reincarnate" Totem Teddy, but in a more culturally sensitive and meaningful way. It would also allow us to expand our cultural horizons and maybe -- just maybe -- teach us a thing or two about their native culture. After all, that's the whole point of a university, isn't it? To expand our horizons?

2) In addition, publish a book(let?) about the history of UNC. This might seem a more academic and less artistic, but it would have real substance to it. Put one in each dorm room at the beginning of the year. Might some get ignored? Sure. Would some fall victim to booze-filled nights. Absolutely. But some might also get read. It's accessible information that all students will have. If you really want to develop a backing for a structure to replace Totem Teddy, people need to know about it and WANT to commemorate it.

Whether your art should be on campus is, at this point, is a moot point. Again, let's be honest: At best, people don't care. At worst, people hate the idea of putting what they see as bad abstract art on campus for no obvious reason.

All that said, I do commend you for getting a conversation going. I, personally, don't like the cairn. Even knowing the tradition in which it was built, I think it is a poor representation. But, that's one man's (Yes, man. Should save you from having to type out the clunky "he/she") opinion. Take it for what it's worth.