LOYAL BEARS

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

NEXT STEPS

This is an invitation to all University of Northern Colorado Bears: students, faculty, staff, administration and alumni to pitch in with ideas for the restoration of Totem Teddy to the UNC Campus. The Centennial of his arrival on campus will happen in 2014. It is my goal to restore the totem in an artful way before that time.

Tradition has never been a big deal in Greeley, but the Bear in me is still hoping for others who may agree that neither a stuffed bear in a plastic box nor a huge squatting bronze, neither one is a true representative of our Bear Spirit.

I have offered to build the "ReIncairnation of Totem Teddy" at my own expense on the same site where the Ghost Memory Totem stood from 2005 until 2008 and the original Totem Teddy stood until his repatriation to the Tlingits of Angoon, Alaska in 2003. The Bear Totem stood proudly on the Greeley campus for almost ninety years and it is my firm belief that his memory should not be forgotten.

Alumnus, the Honorable Lynn Karowsky is responsible for the term "ReIncairnation!" Thank you, Judge Karowsky.

Please join me in my effort to restore the Spirit of Totem Teddy to the UNC campus.

Michael Sheehan
CSC Class of 1963

No comments: