LOYAL BEARS

Monday, September 27, 2010

INCHING THROUGH WIDE STREETS?


Bears and Others who care:

Below is a brief email exchange that I've just had with Michael Johnson, VP of Alumni Affairs at the University of Northern Colorado. He is a thoughtful guy, but is somewhat limited in his ability to Green Light a project. Of course, the former VP, Jerrold De Witt, was able to land a stuffed bear for display in the University Center, apparently, on his own.. so.. power may be fleeting. This is not to criticize Mr. Johnson. It's just to state facts as I understand them. If there is a way to move my idea forward, I am pretty sure that he will be interested in helping.

See below.. Please read from bottom to top.

Michael..

Good that there may be new traditions.. Especially, in music, which I know means a lot to you.

The politics of art is what we're discussing. What's appropriate and what's not.

I've said many times in the past that I support a replica of Totem Teddy for campus and have also declared that it seems to me that my tribute would not be an 'either/or' situation. If there are actual people on campus discussing a replica I would like to meet with them. I have made suggestions for a bronze as well as for a carved totem. It would be nice to be included in those discussions as I have been the voice in the wilderness. or so it seems.. on this idea. I have names and addresses of artists who have the ability to create the representational type of project you mention traditionally or in a modern way in bronze.

My desire to contribute to my alma mater is a strong one.
Sixty-four years ago this month I spent my first days in a classroom there. Fifty-one years ago I began my college career there. I grew up in Greeley.. I love my history there. I love my long connection with Totem Teddy.

That there have been Philistines like Jerrold DeWitt who have essentially ridiculed my efforts has only made my desire to be involved in restoring this important tradition even stronger. I should not gloat at DeWitt's demise, but it seems that his tastes and desires got him where he is today.

I have the support of folks on campus. I will fund the project with no monetary support from UNC. Though I'd love to have my installation where I first saw Totem Teddy, just to the south and west of Bru-Inn, I have other sites that I'll be happy to consider.

It's so simple. Really. Just do what Bryan Stuart did for me twenty years ago and what Ken McConnellogue did for me in 2003. Just be open and accepting of an idea that can only present opportunities in a positive way for discussion of the importance of tradition and art on the UNC campus.

Please just help me.

Michael Sheehan
CSC '63
818 244 9939



--- On Mon, 9/27/10, Johnson, Michael wrote:


From: Johnson, Michael

Date: Monday, September 27, 2010, 4:58 PM

Michael...sorry to have missed your recent email. Thanks for your well wishes of me and my recent anniversary. We are "knee deep" into Homecoming planning and very excited about a new opportunity to showcase our stellar music ensembles while honoring our alumni. If we're as fortunate to live up to its name...Spectacular...then maybe we have a fighting chance of continuing and possibly creating an entertaining annual tradition, should we be so fortunate.

I'm copying Nina Smith, Director of Development for the College of Performing and Visual Arts. She could share the recent gift acceptance policy and gifts of such art that you've attached. I'm not entirely certain what has to happen in receiving and accepting gifts such as yours at the present.

As you know, we have continued interest toward a Totem Teddy gracing our campus once again. There are several campus folk involved in the current discussion, with hopes of bringing back an exact replica to campus. Please share your latest thoughts to gaining traction on this project...as I know you've felt for some time there was little interest in regaining this to grace our campus again.

My best...Michael J-

________________________________

From: Michael
Sent: Mon 9/27/2010 5:08 PM
To: Johnson, Michael
Subject: You know what...


Michael.. tried to write to you recently and am not sure the email sent.

What do I have to do to gift UNC with my artwork?

Hope you had a good anniversary and that Homecoming is spectacular.

best wishes,
Michael Sheehan



No comments: